[WRTC2018] Competition Rules

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Wed Oct 7 02:17:52 CEST 2015

Hi Michael,

Thank you for soliciting our input before finalizing your rules.

1) Sub-receivers   YES

Sub-receivers should be allowed and they create an opportunity for
a more highly-skilled operator to listen in two different places at the same time
and be operate more time-efficiently and generate a higher score than someone
that is not as skilled.  This is the essence of WRTC.

Cost is not a significant factor – the FT1000MP has a sub-receiver and can
be purchased used for less than US $1,300.  I have been using my heavily modified
and filtered FT1000MP’s for 20+ years.  They are excellent WRTC competition radios.

2)  160                   NO

I am greatly in favor or allowing the operators to better separate themselves from
“the pack” by using more bands, strategies, etc.  However, having a
low to the ground 160 meter antenna in close proximity with a 40/80 antenna just invites
trouble into the station and nearby stations in the forms of qrm, radio overload,
signal coupling, harmonic generation, etc.

Almost all WRTC stations are partially compromised by station-to-station qrm
and overload because of the close proximity of these stations.  This is unavoidable.
But adding 160 is likely to create a new and additional level of unnecessary problems that are
likely be unsolvable given the very short time frame from station set-up to contest.

It is wonderful thinking that you want to allow more operating choices, more q’s and mults and
more ways to separate the great ops from the very good ones.  But in this case,
adding 160 is definitely not worth all of the headaches.  :-)

73

Bob  KQ2M

WRTC Team Leader and Competitor

1990  -   Seattle